Friday, April 07, 2006

A tribute to Matthew Good Band

Listening to Underdogs album for the first time in what seems like...forever!...and being all sentimental these days ...man it brings back memories.
Sarah, my best bud and I used to be major obsessed with Matthew God..oopps I mean Good Band. I could write a book about our experiences..It was a crazy time. I would eventually like to share all of our stories one day. Sarah and I actually talked of writing a book once..It was probably a... 'in the drunken moment thought', but nontheless right?

"I don't recognize anybody from around here anymore"
Man I loved this band..and even though the crazy obsessiveness has worn off I do love and appreciate Matt's solo music today. He is an inspiration and I even read his blogs off and on.. although he has become way too smart its hard for me to keep up...but, I am still a fan.

We were probably about 14 or so when it all started. I think we first fell in love with ..
you no what? I don't even know...But, we knew who the band was with 'Last of the Ghetto Astronauts' and I think we became huge fans with ' Underdogs'.

'Apparitions' was a big song for Sarah, Breann and I. The three of us have probably been to about 8 concerts together....always determined to get in the front. Man oh man..

We were all living in Nanaimo.. Sarah and my first concert was at GM place and we had shitty seats ...not on the floor. Once we were on the floor ..there was no other option..WE WERE DETERMINED!~!!!
The first time Matt came to Nanaimo Sarah and I camped out in front of Port Theatre in our tents. So we ended up getting good seats..I remember being pissed cause we had all these friends who wanted us to get them tickets and they didn't even bring us coffess?!Like come on guys?

The night before the concert in Nanaimo, Sarah and I were so excited and were just driving around we decided to drive the hour and a half up to Port Alberni where Matt Good Band was playing. So we called one of friends who lived up there and he met us at McD's...we then drove to the highschool where the band was at... When we pulled up we could hear the music and we were so giddy!!
So excited! Thinking...maybe we can meet the band?? or even get in to see the last song.... (we were obsessed..all the songs Matt wrote, we related to in some way..all the drama in our lives was put into words in Matt's lyrics...we were teenagers at the time it was tough man!)

So, all nervous and excited Sarah and I walked up to a truck, who we assumed loaded up all the band's goods. We ended up meeting a guy named 'Steve' or 'Rick' I can't remember.. and asked if we could get in to see the last bit...or..meet the band. We told him we had front row tickets to the Nanaimo show and he said ..........

"Well this show is almost over but If you come and see me in Nanaimo then I can get you backstage afterwards to meet the band."

We were exstatic!!!

He said, "find the guy who sells the t-shirts (Rick or Steve..I get the two names mixed up) and tell him that I said to find me"

So in Nanaimo........... we loved the concert..and afterward we went and found the t-shirt guy..and he sent us after our man. After a few obstacles we ended up getting backstage. We had a lady who worked at the theatre kick us out..AND..........while SADLY waiting out back with about a hundered fans...a guy came out back and yelled " is there a Lindasy and Sarah out here who I met earlier???"....we ran up ......meanwhile all our friends who we had bought tickets for were cheering for us. We got our around the neck backstage passes. We were so happy....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Rick and Steve!

So we waited backstage ..for ahhh felt like forever prob about an hour..and went into a little room all awkward and met the band at a table. I was reciting what I was going to say over and over again...and came up with " so, how do you enjoy Nanaimo?" unm duhhh..?? and we got a picture taken.... which I'll attach.

Thats all I'll worte for now ...but many more Matt good adventures. I'll hopefully share more.

PEACE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home