Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Routine and Stability...What I've been fighting against for the past two years

Soon, I will no longer be a casual employee. I finally landed myself in a position. I'm relatively happy with the hours and I love the house that I will be working at.

I haven't applied for many permanent positions because most of them are harsh weekend hours that haven't fit with having any sort of social life. I will soon have mon and tues off and I will work weekends but its flexible like 9-5 or 11-7, depending on whats going on. Also I can include the guys in my own life, once in a while...if I have somewhere I want to go..like a family thing or even with friends. I am supporting people, so I think its important to have a good relationship and I want to include them with friends and family sometimes.

It feels like they are welcoming me into their family, so it should go both ways. and to keep professionalism in mind at times....but not to go too overboard with professionalism as well ...because they are people and I don't want their lives to seem like a workplace. Thats the last thing I want.

So I have finally given in to working weekends. All for the routine and stability. Its been two years of jumping between 13 different homes and 3 mon-fri day programs, filling in while people take their holidays or are off on leave or sick. I have learned so much about all the people we support.

I WILL MISS the variety, never being bored, seeing everybody on a regular basis, and of course being able to book whatever time off I wanted off!

I WILL NOT MISS having to carry my cell phone ALL THE TIME and constantly being called by work. Also, as a casual, I could never commit myself to things, like the slowpitch league, for example..cause I would then be at risk for not getting enough hours. Also it will be nice to have a routine again and plan things easier. Being comfortable again in a job will be nice. I also look forward to playing a bigger role in these people's lives.

Thanks for listening:)

WOW and I now have holidays and sick time accruing!!! yippee! woah and a pension woah am I in the big leagues now or what? hahaha honestly, being happy in my job matters more to be than all those extras..but it is kinda nice.

I will miss the freedom.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Flexibility in work is a double-edge sword. You have freedom, but you have to be flexible yourself to make it work. Enjoy the routine and make some plans you can commit to. Congrats on making the move.

9:25 AM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

Yeah, good luck with this new thing at work, Lindzy. Blogger has been hungry lately and eating my comments.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

Congrats Lindz, that's awesome news!!

3:10 PM  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

geek-thats tough not knowing if you'll be there the next day..do you have a stable job now?

AML-yes it def. had its ups and downs. I did have to be flexible. And there was a lot of risk. Luckily it worked out pretty well for the 2 yrs. I was never short work..which was good, but on the other hand annoying! cause you are ALWAYS being called. And if I didn't want to work it was hard to say no without feeling guilty. yaahh lots of issues Im happy to leave behind!

Grunt-Ive had blogger eat my comments before too thats weird?!thanks for the words of encouragement!

Celeste-thankyou friend:)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

It sounds very good. I'm not sure what it is that you do, but you sound happy and that's perfect

6:03 PM  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

phil-I will be supporting four adult men at their house, out in the community..with all aspects of their life really..depending on each individual.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

So it sounds like you do social work?
Very noble

1:06 AM  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

ahh partly..these guys all have disabilities and need support everywhere they go. We help run the house. grocery shop, call a plumber, mow the lawn, go camping, help with personal..but they can do a lot too...each person has strenghts.

They all have social workers...but the actual social workers not not play a part in thier everyday lives. we are always with them. I do one overnight shift a week where I sleep here. There is a bedroom for staff to use. Its like being a part of a family.

3:48 PM  
Blogger LindzyPinzy said...

i guess you could say Im in social work. my official title is a group home counsellor/Community support worker.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home